Sunday, January 1, 2017

2017

Happy New Year, Scot Goes Poppers.  (I've heroically refrained from using the phrase 'Scot Goes Poppers' for the best part of nine years, but if America wants Donald Trump as its president, I'm not sure why I should bother maintaining my own dignity any longer.) 

For obvious reasons, it's hard to look ahead to 2017 with any amount of optimism - for all but nineteen-and-a-bit days of the year, an unstable narcissist is going to have the power of life and death over every single person on the planet.  And it's almost certain that the UK government's drive to drag Scotland out of Europe will shortly get underway in earnest.  But there are one or two things to look forward to - most obviously, it seems highly likely that Labour will finally lose control of Glasgow City Council in May, which will be a symbolic moment on a par (almost) with the fall of Byzantium in 1453.

I'm grateful to Stuart Campbell for unblocking me on Twitter this morning, which means that anyone who signs up to the Wings blocklist from now on will no longer be automatically blocking me.  Obviously I still think it's an extremely bad idea to blindly block thousands of people on Twitter without having a clue why you're doing it, but each to their own.

I'm currently attempting to make my way home from the Edinburgh street party.  Last night (Friday), I went to see Alice in Wonderland at the Lyceum Theatre, and when the 'Queen' came off stage, she fixed me in a vice-like grip and planted a kiss on the top of my head (see attached picture).  I made an executive decision not to wipe the lipstick off, in the hope that people might be fooled into thinking I had a more eventful Hogmanay than ever seemed likely.


13 comments:

  1. I assume you have not heard this mornings news from Istanbul. You might like to change this blogpost once you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As clearly stated, the blogpost was written while I was on my way back from the Edinburgh street party, between about 2am and 2.30am. It was posted at 2.37am. I wasn't following the news at the time, and I have no idea whether the tragedy in Turkey had even been reported at that point. At first, I was slightly baffled as to how and why you thought the post should be changed, but then I realised it was the title. It was a complete coincidence, of course, and I've removed the offending words. I'm not going to remove the reference to the "fall of Byzantium" from the post itself, because it's clear enough what I was talking about there.

      Delete
    2. Appreciate your points. Just looking out for your back.

      Delete
  2. James,

    Best wishes for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glasgow Working Class 2January 1, 2017 at 4:14 PM

    All the best young James. Remember only a weak man breaks a New Years resolution. Only a fool makes one in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done getting unblocked by Stuart Campbell, but then again the only people who do get unblocked by him appear to be prominent bloggers - the rest of us aren't important enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glasgow Working Class 2January 1, 2017 at 8:12 PM

      Is this S. Campbell someone who has never found a hat that can fit his heid. A person of self importance in the scheme of life.

      Delete
    2. As Glasgow Working Class's carer I regret I didn't have time to give his medication today. Sorry folks, have a very good Happy New Year.

      Delete
  5. Hey GWC2 maybe you could give S.Campbell one of your hats.....
    Oops....just remembered they'll all be too big.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glasgow Working Class 2January 2, 2017 at 1:25 AM

    I need permission from my carer for hat distribution!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coupon fond offers existence Life Extension Couponsfor our traffic at discounted charges as compare to others check our fees on our online shop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. On the bright side, we wont have Hillary Clinton trying to impose no fly zones over Russian jets.

    'Labour will lose control of Glasgow' - ah, but will the SNP gain control of it? Could Labour hold on through some kind of alliance with other parties and independents? Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete